Birgit's Food Fetish and Recipe Blog

First, these recipes are largely family recipes. I will try to attribute sources as much as possible, though some have been altered a bit from the original. Second, please excuse weird grammer and spelling. If I tried to edit everything I post, I'd never post anything. Third, some of my comments aren't for the faint of heart, since I can get kind of technical and biological about cooking and some of the ingredients. So, read at your own risk!

Friday, February 23, 2007

Low Carb Eggnog

I was shocked, SHOCKED! to discover that I hadn't posted here for over a half year, so I decided it was time to correct that. I'm planning to post "Oma Rolls" here, along with a lower carb version, but I have those recipes at home and can't post them just yet.

I have recently been trying to find some lower carb foods for breakfast, which is a constant battle for anyone on low carb diets. I have put together a nice homemade eggnog that works well for me and will share the recipe here.

LOW CARB EGGNOG

8 oz Calorie countdown milk (from Hood)
4 oz Land o'Lakes liquid eggs with whole eggs
3 packets Splenda
Flavoring (such as Vanilla, Brandy extract, Rum extract, banana extract, etc) & nutmeg to taste

Blend together. Drink.

I like to mix this using my handheld blender, because it's quick and easy, and doesn't leave too much clean-up. I use the liquid eggs because they're pasteurized, but you can use regular eggs if you want. I use this particular version of liquid eggs, because all the others are just egg whites and I don't think the taste is quite the same. If you're intolerant of milk, you could probably use soy or almond milk for this recipe.

I really like the banana version because it satisfies my craving for bananas without adding extra carbs.

I will also post something after this weekend for a kind of broccoli souffle/pudding sort of thing. I've already made this once and it's great, but I didn't quantify the ingredients. I'll try to do that over the weekend so it'll be ready for primetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home