Birgit's Food Fetish and Recipe Blog

First, these recipes are largely family recipes. I will try to attribute sources as much as possible, though some have been altered a bit from the original. Second, please excuse weird grammer and spelling. If I tried to edit everything I post, I'd never post anything. Third, some of my comments aren't for the faint of heart, since I can get kind of technical and biological about cooking and some of the ingredients. So, read at your own risk!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Lo Carb Ketchup

This is a recipe for ketchup I developed in 2001/2002 when I couldn't find any low carb ketchup in the stores. I haven't used it for a while, since I bought up a year's supply of Atkin's ketchup when they were selling off stock, but I'm posting it for people who want a change from Heinz Low Carb ketchup. Or in case Heinz stops making that, too. I altered this from a ketchup recipe I found on a recipe database. It's a bit richer than Heinz, and darker also.

Sugar Free Ketchup

Ingredients:

29 oz can tomato puree
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
2/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
18-20 Packets Splenda (1/3 cup loose Splenda)
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 ts Allspice
1/2 tsp cloves
2 tsp powdered mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (or more if you like spicy)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1 bayleaf
And, if you must, salt to taste

Put all ingredients in a pot and heat on medium high until the mixture bubbles. Turn heat to low and simmer for about an hour. Simmer uncovered so that mixture reduces slightly. When done, cool, then puree in blender. Store in refrigerator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home