Birgit's Food Fetish and Recipe Blog

First, these recipes are largely family recipes. I will try to attribute sources as much as possible, though some have been altered a bit from the original. Second, please excuse weird grammer and spelling. If I tried to edit everything I post, I'd never post anything. Third, some of my comments aren't for the faint of heart, since I can get kind of technical and biological about cooking and some of the ingredients. So, read at your own risk!

Monday, October 03, 2005

Chili, Ricotta Custard, and Puffy Omelet

I figure 3 recipes is about as much as I should be throwing up at any one time. As it is, I'll have to hurry a bit, since I'm also starting to study for maintenance of certification with the ABFP.

Last night I made some chili and took advantage of the opportunity to figure out just how much chili powder was "throw in as much chili powder as you like." I knew it was a lot, but I've got to say, I surprised even me. You'll notice I'm also giving a lot of leeway as to what to throw into the chili. Good chili can contain a whole bunch of different things, though there are a few ingredients that must be there.

Birgit's Flaming Chili

  • 2 lbs ground meat (beef, turkey, buffalo—used buffalo last night, very good)
  • 1 large onion, or 2 smaller ones, chopped
  • 1-2 bell peppers, chopped
  • 1-2 tsp minced garlic (to taste)
  • Sliced mushrooms (Optional. We prefer Crimini)
  • 2 small zucchini, shredded (also optional, but it’s a really cheap way to add bulk and nutrition without changing flavor)
  • 1-28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 bottle of beer (choose your poison. This is a necessary ingredient.)
  • 2-15 oz cans of beans, drained (any bean is fine. I like to use black soy because it has more protein and is low in carbs)
  • 2 tbsp cumin powder
  • 2/3 to 1 cup of chili powder, or to taste. (I prefer the dark red chili powder)
  • 2 Habanero peppers, minced. (take the seeds out first. Also, can substitute pepper flakes or Scotch Bonnet powder to get it properly hot)
  • Salt to taste

Saute the ground meat over a medium low flame until brown. If you are using just turkey or buffalo, add a little oil since the fat content is low. When meat is brown, add onions, peppers, garlic and mushrooms and sauté until onions start turning translucent. Add the rest of the ingredients and turn heat up to medium. Once the chili starts bubbling, turn the heat to simmer and cover. Simmer for about an hour.

You can throw in some super-sweet corn towards the end of cooking, if you like. When serving, add some shredded Mexican cheese.

This was really good last night. Yum!

I have also developed the following recipe for a ricotta custard in my ongoing quest for really great low carb breakfasts. It’s not bargain basement low, but it’s not bad, when it comes to carbohydrate count. Even better, it’s warm and cozy and fills you up nicely. In other words, it’s great comfort food.

Ricotta Custard

  • 15 oz Ricotta cheese (I personally prefer the whole milk version)
  • 2 oz cream cheese
  • 3 jumbo eggs (or 4 small ones. You can substitute eggbeaters if you absolutely must)
  • ½ cup Splenda (here again, sugar will do if you must)
  • 1 tbsp vanilla (the more the merrier)

Preheat oven to 350 F, or convection oven to 325 F (I usually use the convection setting on my toaster oven, so you may need to add more time if you are using a regular oven). Put all ingredients into a glass mixing bowl. Using electric beater, beat until smooth. (You can probably use a blender for this). You can cook this in 2 cup pyrex containers, splitting the batter into thirds, or you can divide in half or just cook in one large pyrex bowl, about a quart size. Spray your cooking container with PAM and add batter. Bake for 22 minutes for the smallest size, 25 minutes if divided in 2, and 30 minutes if it’s all on big happy custard.

I like to eat this with a little sugar-free jam on top, or with some fresh blueberries. Lots of fresh blueberries. I suspect any fresh berry will do, as would a nice fruit sauce (later post).

Here’s another Tara request. This is also a recipe that Mom used to make me for lunch when I was a kid. I really adored it. A few years ago I came in possession of an old, general cookbook that Grandma Annie used to have and low and behold, there was the recipe! It was easily modifiable into a low carb version that is really, truly low carb.

Puffy Omelet (also known as Omelet Souffle)

  • 4 eggs, separated
  • Juice of ½ lemon (or a whole lime)
  • 1 tsp lemon zest (dried lemon peel works here as well)
  • ¼ cup Splenda (sugar if you must)
  • Butter (or PAM) for the pan

Preheat oven to 350 F (not convection oven). Add the lemon juice, zest (or dried peel) and splenda to the egg yolks. Put a 10 inch frying pan on the burner on low. Mix the yolks on high speed until lemony yellow and lightly thick. Time on this varies with the total quantity of lemon juice you toss in. Rinse your beaters off thoroughly, then whip the egg whites until soft peaks form, and all the bubbles in the whites are too small to be seen. Fold the yolks gently into the whites. Butter or PAM the frying pan thoroughly, making sure to get the sides as well. Gently pour the eggs into the pan and spread evenly. Leave on the burner for 2 minutes, then transfer to the oven for 8 minutes. When done, slide gently onto a large dinner plate to either serve, or gobble up immediately.

This is great by itself, but is enhanced in a big way with fresh, sliced and Splenda’d strawberries. You can also serve with berry sauce, or a low carb jam. I prefer the berry sauce.

So, treadmill is done. 3 recipes are enough. I’ll sign off for now and will write more later. I think berry sauce is in order for the next go-round!

3 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, Blogger Samuraidoctor said...

Well, here's another example of an advertising type of comment. Like I would somehow be interested in penile extenders? Give me a break!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Eric said...

That has to be, like, the funniest thing I've ever seen.

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Success! I would like to report a successful (though perhaps not quite as puffy as Mom's Home Made) Puffy Omelet!

Combined with the Raspberry Sauce I made over the weekend it was like a taste of home. Yumm!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home